How to Fix a Squeaky Dryer – Solved Squeaking Noise
Seriously, a squeaky clothes dryer certainly makes it worse for all of us. No one likes to work with a noisy dryer, irritation aside, it simply does not sound right. So, what do you when you hear a shrill coming out of your dryer? Easy way out would be to call on a technician who would help you fix it.
However, hiring help from out may mean shelling out hundreds of dollars. Then, starts your quandary, how to fix a squeaky dryer. You tell yourself, wish you had known, but you don’t and that makes a difference.
Don’t worry; we have got you covered today because here is a post that will assist you with all that. That is correct, as we employed two methods for you to seek help. One is an easy method and the other one is a bit elaborate. Suit yourself accordingly.
How To Fix a Squeaky Dryer – Temporary method
Look, this is no rocket science and there can be no right or wrong answer to this. You can opt for this process and see whether it solves your problem or follow the next course to find out if that facilitates your cause. In this method, you will be told how quickly fix your voluble dryer.
Supplies needed for this process
- Felt seal dressing – WD 40 and 3-In-One multi-purpose oil
- Impact driver which is an optional choice
- Crescent Wrench for additional tightening
The first thing is to switch off the dryer and if possible for safety you can unplug the machine. This has to be done if you like to make it a secured procedure. Rest you can pursue the subsequent steps to accomplish your goals.
- After you have unplugged it, you need to remove the lid or top of the dryer.
- You can use an impact driver or screwdriver, whatever seems to be comfortable for you.
- You can then use a little of WD-40, which is a multi-purpose oil and add it to the felt seal without removing anything.
- This will make its running is smooth and you will be relieved to see some action.
- You can follow it up with the 3-In-One multi-purpose oil to make it smoother.
- To be honest, the 3-In-One works wonders and is better than the WD-40.
- Then you can replace the lid of your dryer in place.
- Tighten the screw using an impact wrench or Crescent Wrench as per your convenience .
- Plug it in and see if it makes anymore noise.
- If not, then you are good to go, if it still does, then move on to the next course of action.
Fix Squeaky Dryer – Permanent Method
No one likes their dryer screeching away to glory and it is irritating indeed. You may not know how to fix it on your own which is why you call on a professional to take care of this disaster. What if we told you can do it on your own and save your hard earned money? Yes, that is possible and we will now discuss about how to resolve it going into details.
Supplies needed for this process
- Work gloves for protection
- Nut driver set
- Putty knife
- Needle nose pliers
- A slot screwdriver
- A vacuum cleaner (if you feel this is a necessity)
Even before we start, we cannot but emphasize the importance of reading through the manufacturer’s manual once. The user manual can guide you well, as machines may differ in build. Although, dryers have the same basic build, yet we would request you to read your user manual for good.
Another fact that remains the same with the temporary method is to unplug the dryer in the beginning. Undoubtedly, this will reduce the chances of electric shock and make it safe for you to work. Talking of safety brings us to one more point of discussion that of wearing the work gloves for protection.
Let us have a look at how you can dismantle and then reassemble the different parts to get rid of your shrieking dryer.
Dismantle the cabinet
- After you unplug the dryer, the next thing you need to is remove the cabinet.
- For this, you need to take out the lint screen first.
- Unbolt the screws of the lint screen housing from the upper panel with a screwdriver.
- Use the putty knife to pull the lid up at the edges of the top panel.
- Free the locks and lift the panel up and secure it against a wall for support.
- Snap the wire harness with the help of a slot screwdriver.
- Now, let go of the locking tab.
- After this, you can remove the front part of the panel (if need be).
- Use a nut driver to unfasten the mounted screws.
- Keep the panel aside and start working as per the need.
Replacing the drum glide
Many a time the work out drum glide would make a noise when it gets rubbed against the metal. This is located at the back of the metal drum and in order to restore this glide, you need to follow these steps:
- You must take a look at how the motor pulley and the idler pulley are placed.
- You may also take a photograph of this configuration that you can refer to when assembling it back.
- Push the idler pulley a little and this will release the motor pulley.
- You can pull the drum out of this place.
- As a matter of fact, you can use the drive belt to pull it put.
- Now, release the locking tabs by squeezing them together out of the drum.
- Install the fresh new drum glides in the same way.
Reinstate the felt seal
In case, the felt seal has eroded, you should refurbish it with a new felt seal. For this, you need to:
- Simply, pull out the old seal and throw it away.
- Push the new felt seal into the channel.
One more thing, by this time, you may have the whole cabinet dismantled right in front of you. You can take advantage of this situation and vacuum the dirt out your dryer. This will lend it a fresh new feel and you will be glad to find your clothes to be crisp as they come out of the dryer.
You can replace the entire drum if you feel it has worn down while working with the rest. Another, cause of squeaking of dryer could be heard because of a faulty idler pulley. You can re-establish that as well after you have taken apart the whole dryer in the same way. Choice is yours and you have to be very careful when disconnecting all the parts.
It is true that you cannot do everything on your own, as you may need professional help, but if you can learn a thing that will only prove to be beneficial. It is totally up to you and it is your call. You decide what parts are to be removed while you the entire set dismantled. Think about it and don’t worry.
Okay, so you are done with everything that could have possibly gone wrong. It is time to put things back together! What do you? This is what you do:
- Remember the photo you have taken of the pulleys, now is the time to use it.
- Place the pulleys back in spot by pushing the idler pulley over the motor pulley.
- Connect the wire harness.
- Fix the panel walls in the reverse order they were taken apart.
- Plug it in and congratulate yourself for having completed this job.
See, whatever method you choose for fixing your loud dryer, it must be worth your effort. Otherwise, the whole point of this discussion will go in vain. This is why we want you to know that we are a bunch of DIYers and not technicians. We have put this up, as we have done this for years and knowing that this will be of aid for you.
Hope, we have answered all your queries pertaining to how to fix squeaky dryer. If you can share additional tips with us, do let us know through the comments section.